Call us on

Navigating Taxes as an International Student in the United States

Navigating Taxes as an International Student in the United States

As an international student in the United States, it is important to understand your tax obligations and how to comply with U.S. tax laws. This article will cover some of the key topics related to taxes for international students, including immigration status, income, taxes on scholarships and fellowships, Social Security and Medicare taxes, and state taxes.

Immigration Status 

International students who come to the United States to study typically hold either an F-1 or J-1 visa. These students are considered nonresident aliens for tax purposes, which means they are generally subject to U.S. taxes only on income earned from U.S. sources. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, such as if they spend a significant amount of time in the U.S. Additionally, some countries have a tax treaty with the US which allows international students to be taxed at a lower rate or to be exempt from certain types of U.S. taxes.


International students who earn income from U.S. sources may be required to file Form 1040NR-EZ, "U.S. Income Tax Return for Certain Nonresident Aliens with No Dependents," to report their U.S. income and pay taxes on it. Additionally, international students are required to file Form 8843, "Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals with a Medical Condition," even if they have no U.S. income to report. This form is used to claim exemptions from certain taxes and to demonstrate compliance with immigration regulations.

Taxes on Scholarships and Fellowships

Scholarships and fellowships received by international students may be subject to U.S. taxes, depending on the terms of the award and the student's immigration status. Generally, scholarships and fellowships used to pay for tuition, fees, books, and other qualified expenses are not taxable. However, scholarships and fellowships used to pay for room and board or other living expenses may be subject to taxes. It is important to check with the school's financial aid office or with a tax professional to determine whether a scholarship or fellowship is taxable.

Social Security and Medicare Taxes

International students who work on campus may be subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes, also known as FICA taxes. These taxes are typically withheld from the student's paycheck but may be refundable in certain situations. International students who hold F-1 or J-1 visa status and have not yet reached the time limit for on-campus employment may be exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes.

State Taxes

International students may also be subject to state taxes, depending on where they live and work in the United States. Each state has its own tax laws, so it's important to check with the relevant state government agency to determine your state tax obligations.

Resources for International Students

Many universities have resources available to help international students navigate the U.S. tax system, such as tax workshops or assistance from a tax professional. Additionally, the International Students office of the school is a great resource for international students looking for more information about taxes and compliance with U.S. tax laws. It is always a good idea to consult with a tax professional or an international student office at the school to ensure compliance with all relevant tax laws and regulations.

Taxes can be a tricky business, especially for international students who may not be familiar with the U.S. tax system. However, by understanding your immigration status, income, taxes on scholarships and fellowships, Social Security and Medicare taxes, and state taxes, you can ensure that you are in compliance with U.S. tax laws and avoid any potential penalties. If you have any questions or concerns, be sure to consult with