Recently I wrote a blog post about State Bank of India and got many questions about opening the NRE/NRO account in Fremont Branch of State Bank Of India. I contacted the Bank to get more details about their process and would like to share those with you.
NRE/ NRO accounts are opened for NRIs/ PIOs/ OCIs with State Bank of India branches located in India. These Accounts are maintained and serviced in India by branches of State Bank of India. We facilitate opening of these accounts by accepting duly filled account opening forms and sending them to a designated center in India.
To open an NRE/NRO account, each applicant need to visit the branch, SBI (California) 39148 Paseo Padre Parkway, Fremont CA 94538 with following papers:
- Original valid passport with valid Visa/ PIO Card/ OCI Card/ /any other documentary proof of your Indian origin
- Valid Local ID (Driver’s License).
- Local Current Address proof (Bank Statement/ Utility bills may be considered for address proof).
- A Void Local Bank Check
- Two passport size photographs
- Original PAN Card is mandatory for a NRO Account
- Personal check (USD) for initial remittance to India or making the term deposit. We suggest sending at least $500/- along with the account opening form for savings accounts. If you bring a Cashier Check it should be payable to “SBI, California”
The account opening forms are available here. The form should be duly filled up. It should be signed in front of branch officials. It may takes around 4-6 weeks for getting all the details, viz. Passbooks, ATM Card and Internet Banking Kits etc. from the SBI Branch in India.
For more information about the products for NRIs, visit the website www.onlinesbi.com/nri and see the FAQs tab on the top center of your screen.