BoE, IRS and FTB Tax Audit On The Rise | Protect Yourself
We have seen an increase in the Franchise Tax Board, Board of Equalization (Sales Tax) and IRS Tax Audits in recent months. In the last few months, California Sales Tax Officers have also visited the businesses in various counties including Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara and requested to see their sales receipts and record of their sales transactions. In many cases, BOE has asked these businesses to bring their detailed sales record to the BoE office in Oakland CA. Certain types of businesses like Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Retail Stores and businesses with the majority of cash transactions are of particular interest to FTB and IRS.
We feel it is important for our fellow business owners to prepare for such a visit or an audit by IRS, BoE, EDD or FTB.
We will be holding a free conference call in February to discuss important steps you can take to prepare yourself for such a visit. We will discuss many scenarios that may catch you off guard.
- What kind of documents IRS, FTB, BoE or EDD may ask to see?
- How to prepare your employees for BoE, EDD< IRS and FTB visits?
- What should your employees know about BoE, EDD, IRS and FTB Audits?
- How to deal with customers when BoE, IRS or FTB agents are at your site?
- What should you tell or not tell to Tax Auditors?
- When to get professional help with your Audit?